Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Manic Monday

After 2 years of living in SoCal, finally made it to the Echo last night. Thanks to Linda for getting me out of the house on a Monday night. Normally I wouldn't cap off an eleven hour workday by going to a bar--wait, actually, I totally would. In any case, I'll be thwarted by laziness and lack of company from venturing out to Echo Park no more!
Got there in plenty of time to see The Pity Party @ 9pm. Loved the psych ward chic aesthetic. Oh, and the music was good, too. There's just something visually compelling about a drummer who looks like she wandered out of Girl Interupted, especially in a two-piece group. The sound was surprisingly full (and loud!) for just 2 people. Of course I forgot to wear earplugs, again, because, apparently, I'm not going to need to hear much after I turn 40.
Sadly for Division Day they sent most of the house scurrying for the smoking porch, where we were informed that we were a fire hazard for standing in the path of a potential exit. Because if there had been a fire, we obviously wouldn't have moved, causing all those behind us to die horrible fiery deaths. It was nice to be outside in November and not need a thousand layers of clothing to avoid frostbite. I think I could get used to this.
The highlight of the evening (aside from finally being released from the office at 8:30) was definitely Great Northern, who not only sounded great, but looked good doing it. I like band's that make the effort to dress well, and coordinate, and decorate the stage with strings of red lights. It demonstartes a sense of showmanship that is often lacking in small venue performances. This quartet is definitely worth checking out--they'll be back at the Echo next Monday for the final week of their residency.
By the end of that set at midnight, I was unable to stand up straight, due to a serious case of little old lady syndrome. I was quite happy to skip the last band and head home for some zzz's.
Sadly, the night was marred by the worst beer ever! Moral of the story: be wary of $3 pints.
On a sad note, Robert Altman died last night in LA :o(

No comments: