Wednesday, November 01, 2006

All Hallow's Eve

Halloween is a really fun holiday when you're young.
Children get to dress up and accost adults for more candy than anyone should eat in a year, let-alone the week or less it usually took me and my brother. Barf.
In college trick or treating went the way of the Dodo, replaced by the inevitable costume party circuit. At least we didn't have frats at my school, but I do have fuzzy memories of slamming SoCo at a Heaven and Hell party my Freshman year and very clear memories of the ensuing hangover--not pretty.
Last year I spent the night not in costume, meandering around Manhattan through about a million people. There was also a pretty cool haunted house.
This year, costumeless once again (due to the unavailability of white gogo boots), I happily ended up at the Wiltern in LA, so named because it is at the corner of Wilshire and Western. The Wiltern began life as an Art Deco movie theater. It's pretty cool just to look at. Last night, it was super-cool (as the French say) as I saw The Brazilian Girls and Under The Influence of Giants courtesy of tickets I won listening to KCRW on-line with some new friends I made on Craigslist.
The internet is awesome! I know it's been around a while, but I think it's worth reminding ourselves (those of use who can remember) just how awesome it is. Monday morning my Halloween plan was to watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! with the cats. By Tuesday I had free tickets to a great show with new peeps. That's pretty hard to do from an office by yourself without the internet.
The show was unbelievably awesome. I felt transported, literally out of my body. If you have the chance to see either one of these bands, I suggest you take it. I haven't danced like that since I raved in college. And I haven't had such a great time at a show since I can't remember.
More adventures soon, now I must earn my keep!

No comments: