Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Jeez, louize

Holy cow! 3 months of postlessness! I've done some stuff, but really nothing to justify that. I guess that's what happened--not too much, so no need to post. And the omigod-I'm-so-screwed cast of my inner dialog of late hasn't led to much post-worthy observation or insight.
Honestly, I think I've been a bit down about the whole, unemployed again thing. It gets less tolerable the older I get. I'm temping now and I definitely had some fun this summer--I was almost manic in my will to enjoy my freedom from work and a regular sleep schedule. That gets old fast, too, so I'm glad for the nights at home, the budget-minded recreational activities and the fact that the stove, if not the oven, finally works.
I'm a little more zen now that the other shoe has dropped in the form of the writers strike, which completely screws me and offers no direct benefit--especially since I plan to stay on the producers side of the table, career-wise.
On the upside, anticipating an excess of down time (which, thankfully was gobbled up by temp gigs), I volunteered at this year's AFI fest, hoping for some free loot in exchange for my free time. Alas, since I ended up working through the festival, I thought I wouldn't actually get to see any of the movies. But on Sunday, after a couple hours cutting up at the doors and collecting tickets with other volunteers, I got to sneak into the premiere of Love in the Time of Cholera, which was awesome! And afterwards, I was this close to Benjamin Bratt. Also saw Diego Luna, Alfre Woodard and that cute English dude from Fantastic 4. And I genuinely had fun working with the other volunteers on my shifts (thank god, there were a lot of weird fish running around with volunteer badges).
And my kickball team (you read that right) had our first win of the season last week. Tragically, we were eliminated in last night's playoff game, but we all had a good time and I look forward to the Spring season.
I've even done a good deed and walked the Los Angeles AIDS walk, which was a surprisingly tough 10K through West Hollywood. I think the relatively flat, paved terrain was too repetitive for 3 hours. But it was nothing compared to the near-death experience I had hiking in Northern Cali over Memorial Day weekend. That was mad brutal.
Anyway, I hope any readers I might have left had good end-of-summers and autumns. I'm really looking forward to the holiday season (heading to SC to visit my mom) and the new year. 2008 won't have to be very good to top 2007 and even if it's par for the course, at least I'm prepared. I'll try to keep posting through the madnes.

No comments: