Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Shop till you drop

After years of impulse buying and pathological deal-seeking, I've finally admitted to myself that I am a recreational shopper. Even when I'm shopping for things I need, I get a charge out of getting it cheaper or getting a little something extra. I generally hate the mall because name brand stores are not the best places to find deals. Target is good because there's always something on sale and the stock is reliable, though I strangely balk at paying "full price" even if full price is $25 for a dress or pair of shoes. I much prefer places like Loehman's, Ross and Big Lots which reward patience and tenacity. I could (and sometimes do) spend hours sorting through racks, bins and shelves looking for great deals on things I never knew I needed. In some instances this is great--I have replaced every bulb in my apartment with compact flourescents because they were really cheap at Big Lots. On the other hand, I have a pair of bright green, ill-fitting pants in my closet that are approximately 4 inches too long and I've worn them twice--but what a deal! Every time I do walk into a name brand store, I immediately head for the discount rack--usually, I won't shop in any other part of the store. Why pay full price when I know there's a sale every few weeks as one season moves in to replace the last? Of course this approach requires constant vigilance, and I could be beaten out by all those idiots willing to pay full price. Much the same way Sara remembers every meal she's ever eaten at a restaurant, I remember where I bought my clothes, shoes and accessories and what I paid for them. Though I usually won't admit to it.

No comments: