Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tempest in a styrofoam yogurt cup

Pinkberry, apparently, is all the rage. Personally, I find it pretty inexplicable. While I would never in a million years dream of risking a parking ticket and endureing an hour long wait in line for fro-yo, I was tempted to taste the wonder for myslef when the chain opened a new store in my 'hood. The experience left me wondering what all the fuss was about. I paid nearly five dollars for a cup of sour (in a yummy way) frozen yogurt that was swirled around so the middle remained empty then topped with fruit. Whoop-de-fuck. If I froze a fruit-on-the bottom yogurt then up-ended it (flan style), I would end up with the same thing (and more yogurt) for less than a buck. There's nothing wrong with Pinkberry, there's just nothing so super-freaking-duper about it either. And $5 for a mostly empty cup is a rip-off (it would be a rip-off even if it were full, seriously).

2 comments:

flanthrower said...

I find it disturbing that people will pay that much for fro-yo but then again how many people pay a crapton of money to starbucks every day for a venti, no foam, sugar free hazelnut, extra hot latte? (Myself included--at least twice a week when I'm stuck in court...minus all the crazy instructions of course.)

More disturbing still is the fact that chicken nuggets here are 6 pc/$1. Cheaper than they were oh five years ago? What does that say about American eating?

Jess said...

I actually won't eat meat that's that cheap--I go veggie. And if the price of a designer latte won't stop me, I just take a peak at the nutritional info--that'll make it a once in a while thing fo' sho'--I'd rather spend my $ on booze.